8. Figure out your 30 minute jump start routine

I did it. I survived my second week of my new work schedule! Woot woot! Trust me, I didn’t think that was possible. When the job posting went up in March and I saw that the job was a Tuesday through Saturday work week, I convinced myself that was a deal breaker. No way in hell did I want to go back to working Saturdays. I did that for the first couple years that I worked at the Museum, and while it was fine at the time, I’d gotten accustomed to Monday though Friday. I loved Monday through Friday. I never, ever, ever, ever, EVER wanted to work Saturdays again…and then I thought about how great of a job it was, and that won me over. I’m a sucker like that. Anywho, last weekend wasn’t so great. My Saturday dragged. Horribly. I got so many things checked off my to-do list, but I’m pretty sure that my day actually lasted a week. It was rough. But this Saturday was great! My day flew, my sisters brought me lunch, and I still got a lot done. Plus, it’s really nice to have Monday off. I get to sleep in, no line at Target, I’m pretty much the only person walking at the park, no line at Target…it’s wonderful.

Mondays are also a really great day to work on my list! (See what I did there?) This weekend was the official start of the 18 month countdown to my 30th birthday, so I am really feeling the pressure to start kicking some ass on this thing. I decided to start today with #8. Now, as I mentioned in one of my last posts, I’ve actually been working on this one for about a year. When Aubree and I were doing our weekly life coach sessions, we spent one week talking about my lack of confidence when it comes to approaching attractive men, She asked how likely, on a scale of 1 to 10, I was to talk to a cute guy if I saw one at Starbucks. I told her zero. (Yes, yes, I know, that’s absolutely ridiculous, but at the time, it was very much true.) Aubree posed the question of what it would take to get me to a 1 or 2. I decided one thing I needed to work on was taking time with my physical appearance. Now, I’m a firm believer that girls can and should be natural, and don’t need to get dolled up to go anywhere and everywhere, etc, etc, but here’s the thing: you know when you were in college and you were up all night with your friends, and you had made plans to meet other friends for lunch in the dining hall the next day, so you just went in your PJs and glasses and messy sleep hair and it was fine? Well…that was me in life on the weekends. If I didn’t have plans, I didn’t get ready…meaning, if I needed to run to HyVee to grab some veggies for dinner, I did so in whatever I’d slept in…usually with messy hair, and dried drool on my face. And probably not even a bra on, if I was wearing a hoodie. Yuck. Anyway, the reason for this was, it took entirely too long for me to get ready. The first time I timed myself, my “get ready” routine took 45-50 minutes. So, over the past year, I’ve been working on it, and I’ve gotten GOOD. Now that I get to work between 8 and 8:15 daily, I’ve really pushed myself to get my routine down so I can still sleep until a decent time. And, I’ve done it. I timed myself today, and I’ve finally hit the goal Ria set for me…


Yay! I did it! Now, when Ria gave me the list, #8 originally said, “Figure out your 30 minute jump start routine. As in, if you are asked out on a date that starts in 30 minutes and you are still in your PJ’s with Charlee on your lap and pizza on your chin- what do you need to do to get yourself looking like your fabulous self in 30 minutes? What are the essentials to make you feel good? Practice the routine. It will come in handy at some point in your life.” At some point? How about EVERYDAY? Want to know how I did it? My steps are below, in order. Now, right before I started the timer, I was in my workout clothes. I hadn’t showered or done anything yet to get ready, and I had just finished eating. Ok, I think that catches you all up…

IMG_6212 (1)

Me, pre-routine

  1. I went into my bedroom and picked out my outfit for the day. Normally, this takes a REALLY long time, but since I was timing myself, I grabbed a shirt I hadn’t worn in awhile, grabbed everything else to go with it, and took it all into the bathroom. Done in 40 seconds.
  2. I used the “facilities” and washed my hands after, of course.
  3. I brushed my teeth, and got out my towels and washcloth at the same time.
  4. I took out my hair from the day before, which involved 2 hairties and several bobby pins.
  5. I turned on my Pandora app on my phone.
  6. I showered. A typical shower, except I did shave 1/3 of each leg since I was planning to wear cropped pants. (Why shave your entire leg for only 2 visible inches?)
  7. I wrapped my hair in a towel and dried myself off.
  8. I bent down and gave Stella a quick snuggle. (She usually waits in the bathroom while I shower.)
  9. I got half dressed, put on deodorant, and decided to stick with glasses for the day. I washed my face with a makeup remover wipe, and pulled my hair dryer out of the closet.
  10. I got out my make-up bag, and applied my eyeshadow primer and lip balm.
  11. I moisturized my face with Neutrogena Hydro Boost gel cream. (I swear by this stuff! My face used to always be really red and dry, but this cream has fixed that! Yay!) IMG_6218
  12. Stella was flipping out so I picked her up and danced with her for about 30 seconds. It’s just something we do.
  13. I dried my hair. I keep it pretty simple; I don’t add any product and I fluff with my fingers. While I did that, I pulled out my foundation, blush, eyeshadow, eye liner, mascara, and blush brush.
  14. My bathroom gets really hot when I shower, so I usually vacate for 1-2 minutes after I finish my hair. I went down the hall, sat with Stella, then went back in.


    This is pretty much all I need to get ready!

  15. Make-up application time! It’s a little harder to do when I wear my glasses, since I have to stand about 2 inches from the mirror to see, but I make it work. Foundation, blush, eye shadow (I apply with my fingers), wash my hands, eyeliner, mascara, run foundation under eyes again, done.
  16. I finished getting dressed.
  17. My hair was actually looking nice after blowing it dry so I lightly hair sprayed it.
  18. I went into my bedroom, where I sprayed some perfume, put on a scarf, and put on my TOMs,
  19. I shut off the timer…bam.


    All done!

Yes, I really did do all of that in 28 minutes. (I’m impressed, too!) Now, I do realize that today wasn’t entirely typical. Usually I do something to my hair (curl, straighten, ponytail) and I do wear my contacts most days. So, before I officially cross this off the list, I’m going to do each of those scenarios, timed. I’ll be reporting back here for the next three Mondays, so get excited!

Now, I’m curious…what is your morning routine like? How long does it take you? Any suggestions or words of wisdom? I’d love to hear from you…comment below!

Until next time,



One thought on “8. Figure out your 30 minute jump start routine

  1. Pingback: 8. Figure out your 30 minute jump start routine- Part 2! | The One with the Thirty Things

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s